In my last update on what I’ll be doing for aftercare after the chemical peel, I mentioned that I’ll be – and have already started – supplementing with MSM powder. I got a jar of it from my mom some time ago, she thought it tasted too bitter to consume, and I’ve only used it as a face scrub and mixed it in masks so far. I want to try taking it internally to promote epidermal growth and boost collagen production as my face will be peeling and renewing itself as I undergo these treatments to reduce the appearance of acne scars.
Methylsulfonylmethane is found most in protein-rich foods like broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, beans, peas, lentils and some cruelty products. Because it is water soluble, it doesn’t accumulate and create toxicity as another form of fat-soluble vitamins and minerals would do. So it’s very safe to consume in large quantities.
The sulfur compound has anti-inflammatory and skin-repairing properties which could be beneficial in treating skin issues such as eczema, acne, and psoriasis, as well as soften acne scars and promote faster healing. It may be paired with inflammation-reducing Mission Farms CBD soap if allowed, for relief on the immediate area of the inflammation. Because of its aspirin-like qualities, I’ve only used it mostly to relieve itchiness from my cystic acne back in the days. MSM is pretty tricky to dissolve and is best combined with aloe vera gel. However, for now, my face will be too sensitive to use MSM powder topically. But after reading this, I will probably try playing with it again as soon as my face has healed from this first round of treatments!
Benefits of taking MSM Powder
- Helps the body’s ability to absorb more nutrients – vitamins and minerals bind with MSM, so the body can fully exploit them.
- Helps to oxygenate the blood more efficiently – sulfur is one of the most important nutrients for the blood’s ability to absorb oxygen.
- Helps reduce inflammation and swelling – By equalize pressure on both sides of a cell wall, MSM helps to remove inflammation of the soft tissue and helps to reduce pain in muscles and joints, this may be combined with buying weed online as this has been shown to aid in reduced inflammation too. MSM is generally analgesic, can help with migraine.
- Helps to maintain a proper pH balance – Sulphur is an important part of insulin, which plays a crucial role in carbohydrate metabolism. Sulfur also helps to maintain overall body balance between alkalinity and acidity.
- Supports liver detoxification – Sulfur is an essential component of the body’s powerful antioxidant glutathione, which is produced in the liver and is responsible for optimal detoxification of foreign substances.
- Promotes healthy skin – Helps reduce acne and acne scars, and limit hyper-pigmentation.
I started taking the 1/4 tsp suggested beginners-dose without feeling any different. I’m now on 1/2 tsp and will soon go to 3/4 of a tsp, working my way up to 1-2 tsp per day. Taking a large dose immediately can cause a headache, dizziness, and sickness (even acne) as it is very detoxifying for the body. You can also divide your dose or dissolve into your preferred beverage and sip it throughout the day. I haven’t yet experienced any negative effects nor have I felt it tasting bitter. But I’ve read a few who had the same experience as my mom, and who wouldn’t want to touch it after that. Luckily, MSM is also sold in capsules if the bitterness is too much for you. But my advice is to just blend it with lemon+stevia or sweet juice.
I mix some powder in my morning tea (the heat will not destroy the beneficial ingredient) with some lemon or in a glass of juice, and drink it up. It works together with vitamin C which helps assist the MSM being absorbed and used to build new collagen.
I’ve been taking it for over two weeks now, and so far I haven’t noticed any huge difference in my skin, maybe some calmness? I’m really unsure, could just be that time of the month you know. I guess this one works slow, and you need to get to the higher dosage to actually experience the full benefit from it. Some will notice right away, and others will have to wait a few weeks.
Though, I wouldn’t call this a cure for any skin condition as it is an “external”, as I liked to call it. Meaning: it’s an isolated supplement, and as soon as you will stop taking it your skin will probably go back to the usual. I also don’t like the thought of focusing on one nutrient. I’d recommend finding a more sustainable cure, like a healthy diet, finding the ingredients that upset your gut and skin or supplementing with pumpkin seeds.
But using it as a tool of natural medicine, to boost the healing process after a treatment, is completely fine I think.
As said, you can mix MSM in whatever liquid you like and drink it up, but if you do have a few neglected Aloe Vera plants hanging around, I have the best recipe for digestive aid and promoting glowing skin!
I myself had a bunch of aloe vera sprouts that were taking over the poor pot and a few broken leaves, so I decided on making this little green shot.
My aloe vera plants come from IKEA, but I believe they’re very cheap to get overall. It took my plants about 6 months to go overboard on the sprouting (they are multiplying like weed lol) and I used 1 handful of them to make one glass. So until then, you can always just use 1-2 leaves and half of a cucumber instead!
I did consume aloe vera juice on a bottle when experimenting with Ayurveda a few years ago, but I’d say juicing your own is more beneficial. I can’t wait until grocery stores start selling packaged aloe vera leaves. I’m actually very surprised they don’t do it yet considering the plant grows new ones so fast!
Benefits of drinking Aloe Vera Juice
- Hydrates you and give your body the building blocks it needs to replenish old cells and regenerate.
- Supports your immune system by giving you a full spectrum of vitamins and minerals.
- Relieves you from constipation as well helping you to get rid of any parasites and worms that may have entered your organism.
- Improves your digestive tract and reduces any irritation.
- Calms down inflammation in the body.
- Alkalizes your body making disease cease to exist.
GREEN ALOE VERA JUICE WITH MSM POWDER
A simple green juice to aid digestion and promote clear skin.
Write a reviewSave RecipePrint
1 Handful Aloe Vera Sprouts/Leaves
1 Organic Lemon (peeled)
1 Organic Apple
1/4 Tsp MSM Powder
1-2 Drops of Stevia
Trim the roots of the sprouts, then put the aloe vera, lemon and apple through a juicer.
Mix in the MSM Powder and add a few drops of stevia if needed.
Enjoy glowing skin for the rest of the day!